By Pantience Longe MANA
Ministry of Education has assured learners and the general public, particularly in the southern region that reopening of schools will not be disrupted following cyclone Freddy’s impact, as decommissioning of relief camps in schools is already underway.
This follows concerns that learners might face hurdles to access classrooms come April 17, as many affected families are still camping in school premises.
But speaking in an interview on Monday, Ministry of Education Public Relations Officer, Mphatso Nkuonera, said the ministry together with other stakeholders are ensuring that cyclone Freddy survivors are allocated better places to avoid disturbing classes.
“The ministry together with the Department of Disaster and Management Affairs (DoDMA) and other partners have secured tents which will be mounted in some of the districts to effect relocation of families currently camping in schools.
“The destruction was huge and we are therefore appealing to well wishers to continue helping the country especially in education sector,” He said.
Deputy spokesperson for DoDMA, Chimwemwe Njoloma said the department is working tirelessly towards ensuring that all education facilities which previously provided shelter to the displaced families are relieved before schools reopen.
“We have been providing housing units, family tents and other shelter tool kits for displaced communities who sought refuge in education facilities following devastating effects of tropical cyclone Freddy,” she said.
She expressed appreciation to Councils for the efforts being made to see through the decommissioning of camps from schools and further advised them to decommission all camps before Monday next week.